- 3 eggs
- 3/4 c butter
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 c sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 T red food coloring
- 1 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- Chocolate heart-shaped cookies (optional)
- Powdered sugar
2. In medium bowl combine the cocoa powder, flour and 3/4 tsp. salt; set aside. In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium-high 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla to butter mixture, beat until combined. One at a time, add eggs; mixing well. Add food coloring.
3. Alternately add flour mixture and then buttermilk to egg mixture; beat on low until combined. Stir together baking soda and vinegar and add to batter.
4. Spoon batter into prepared cupcake pans, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake 15 to 17 minutes and cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pans. Using a heart stencil, dust the top of each cupcake with powdered sugar. Makes 28 red velvet cupcakes.