The recipe calls for a prepared chocolate cookie crust and that's what I bought, one made by Keebler. But it turns out Oreo makes a crust from their crushed signature cookies. An Oreo cookie - the only thing I loved more than the blue-eyed boy next door. I'm glad I chose Keebler, because this creamy chocolate pie is so rich, you definitely don't need any help from the magical makers of Oreos. And trust me, you can easily skip the whipped topping as shown below. A perfect chocolate pie recipe, just the way it is.
- 12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips (dark if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (sounds like a lot, I know)
- 1 (9 inch) prepared chocolate cookie crumb crust
- 1. In microwave dish combine chocolate chips and 1/2 of the cream. Cook on high for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. I'll be honest, it took me a full three minutes to get this result. Cool to room temperature (about one hour). Stir in sifted sugar and vanilla. Set aside.
- 2. In your electric mixer, beat the rest of the cream until soft peaks form. (There was about 1/4 of a cup of cream left in the carton and I threw that in too.) Beat in chocolate mixture on high speed 1/3 at a time until it's light and fluffy. Spoon onto the cookie crust.
- 3. Refrigerate at least 8 hours before serving. (My guests were served 6 hours after I made this chocolate pie and it was perfect slice of heaven.)