Aug 2, 2014

Hershey's Chocolate Truffle Pie

I made this chocolate truffle pie last night and renamed it "Hershey's" because semi sweet chocolate chips made by Hershey were a little bit cheaper than those made by Toll House. And Walmart's brand of whipping cream was just as creamy and less pricey than the very same product from Land O Lakes. So there you have it, I'm tight with a buck. But the end result was the most delicious chocolate dessert I have ever tasted and definitely headed to every bridal shower, barbeque or birthday I ever attend.

The recipe calls for a prepared chocolate cookie crust and that's what I bought, one made by Keebler.  But it turns out Oreo makes a crust from their crushed signature cookies.  I'm glad I chose Keebler, because it's just as good as the more expensive brand.  And trust me, you can easily skip the whipped topping as shown below.  A perfect easy chocolate pie recipe, just the way it is.

Chocolate Truffle Pie


 
  • 12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips (dark if you prefer)
  • 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
  • 1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (sounds like a lot, I know)
  • 1 (9 inch) prepared chocolate cookie crumb crust
    1.  In microwave dish combine chocolate chips and 1/2 of the cream. Cook on high for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. I'll be honest, it took me a full three minutes to get this result.  Cool to room temperature (about one hour). Stir in sifted sugar and vanilla. Set aside.
    2.  In your electric mixer, beat the rest of the cream until soft peaks form. (There was about 1/4 of a cup of cream left in the carton and I threw that in too.)  Beat in chocolate mixture on high speed 1/3 at a time until it's light and fluffy.  Spoon onto the cookie crust.
    3.  Refrigerate at least 5 to 6 hours before serving for best results.
    Don't Miss!

No comments: