- Fill a Mason jar with vinegar and place a round-shaped steel wool pad inside. Leave it overnight or several days for a darker solution.
- Boil black tea and paint it onto the wood surface before applying the vinegar solution. The tannic acid in the tea will make the vinegar stain darker and even more beautiful.
- One coat will make your wood look old. Several coats are even better.
- Just in case there is any residue from the steel wool left over, wipe your wood thoroughly with a clean wet rag.
- Your wooden crate now looks weathered and worn, and a coat of wax will keep it this way indefinitely.
I love the look of these wooden crate centerpieces.
Here's a great tutorial on how to make a small wooden crate from paint sticks.